By Location
By Alphabet
Eco-Tourism
Entertainment
Health
Shopping Advice
Thai Food
Thai Desserts
Thai Cooking
Thai Herbs
Local Flavor
Beaches
Islands
 
Krabi History

Krabi is a southern province on Thailand's Andaman seaboard with perhaps the country's oldest history of continued settlement.

After dating stone tools, ancient colored pictures, beads, pottery and skeletal remains found in the province's many cliffs and caves, archaeologists believe that Krabi has been home to homo sapiens since the period 25,000 - 35,000 B.C. In recorded times it was called the 'Ban Thai Samor', and was one of twelve towns that used the monkey for their standard.

At that time, c. 1200 A.D., Krabi was a tributary to the Kingdom of Ligor, a city on the Kra Peninsula's east coast better known today as Nakhon Si Thammarat.

At the start of the Rattanakosin period, about 200 years ago, when the capital was finally settled at Bangkok, an elephant kraal was established in Krabi by order of Chao Phraya Nakorn (Noi), the governor of Nakhon Si Thammarat, which was by then a part of the Thai Kingdom. He sent his vizier, the Phra Palad, to oversee this task, which was to ensure a regular supply of elephants for the larger town. So many people followed the Phra Palad that soon Krabi had a large community in three different boroughs: Pakasai, Khlong Pon, and Pak Lao.

In 1872, King Chulalongkorn brought these three boroughs together and bestowed upon them town status. The town was called Krabi, a word that preserves in its meaning the monkey symbolism of the old standard. The town's first governor was Luang Thep Sena, although it continued to be a dependency of Nakhon Si Thammarat for a while. This was changed in 1875, when Krabi was raised to a fourth-level town in the old system of Thai government. Administrators then reported directly to the central government in Bangkok, and Krabi's history as a unique entity, separated from the other provinces, began.


During the present reign, civil servants, merchants, and the general population of Krabi, and other nearby provinces, came together to organize the construction of a royal residence at Laem Hang Nak Cape for presentation to His Majesty the King. This lies thirty km to the west of Krabi Town on the Andaman coast